The Cathedral of Santa María de Regla de León is a Catholic temple of worship, episcopal see of the diocese of León, Spain, consecrated under the invocation of the Virgin Mary. It was the first monument declared in Spain by Royal Order on August 28, 1844 (confirmed by Royal Order on September 24, 1845).
Begun in the 13th century, it is one of the great works of the French-influenced Gothic style. Known by the nickname of Pulchra leonina, which means ‘Beautiful Leonine’, it is located in the middle of the Camino de Santiago.
The cathedral of León is known above all for taking the “dematerialization” of Gothic art to the extreme, that is, the reduction of the walls to their minimum expression to be replaced by colored stained glass, constituting one of the largest collections of medieval stained glass windows in the world.